Friday, May 21, 2010

Today's Special: Oiled Shrimp

Ahem... let me just climb up on my soapbox here. I may live in Ohio, but I am a SOUTHERN girl at heart, and I always will be. I grew up on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. I wept after Katrina nearly destroyed it. I weep now as I watch "big oil" doing it's best to finish the job. I am an engineer by training and I studied environmental sciences in grad school. So, I know the issues BP is facing in this disaster.

And I say, "YOU ARE NOT DOING A GOOD ENOUGH JOB!" I say that you've lied since Day 1 about the scale of this disaster. You've bought our politicians and even our local tv station. Excuse me, Gene Taylor, this is NOT chocolate milk. And, WLO-BP, yes, I think it is safe to say that the oil and the dead dolphins and turtles and wreckage are from the Deepwater Horizon.

I resent that the scale of this disaster is being under-reported. I
resent that you have made this worse by using a dispersant whose by-products are more toxic than the oil. I resent that the EPA won't let us take steps to protect the wetlands because of the time it takes to get permits. I resent that Mississippi is opening up shrimping season next week. Really, do we need to eat toxic seafood? Is it not enough that our whole ecosystem is being trashed? And the SMELL, I RESENT that God-awful smell! What will it take to wake us up, people?

No comments: